The Muscatine Fall Leaf Collection Program is well into the second pass of the 2023 program with three trucks currently working in Zone 4 as of Wednesday.
The weather has been beneficial to the collection efforts with Department of Public Works Leaf vacuum trucks through each Muscatine zone (see map) to collect leaves raked to the curb. Crews will work through Zone 8 the rest of November and then start one more pass through each zone as weather permits to conclude the fall program.
Residents are asked to have leaves raked out next to the curb by 7 a.m. on the day of leaf pickup and to avoid parking on the street during their collection day. Leaf piles blocked by cars will not be collected until the cars are moved.
Residents are also asked not to mix trash, branches, or other yard waste with their leaf piles.
The Compost Site at the Transfer Station will remain open throughout the fall season, weather permitting. The Compost Site will be open from 12-5 p.m. Sunday through Friday and from 9 a.m-6 p.m. on Saturdays.
Here are some additional guidelines for leaf collection:
- Leaves should be placed near, but not beyond, the curb and should be within reach of the leaf vacuum.
- Leaves should be free of tree branches and twigs as they can cause the leaf vacuums to clog up.
- All leaves must be placed outside of fenced areas.
- Leaves are not to be placed in the street to avoid clogging storm drains.
- Leaves should not be placed in the street or extend into traffic lanes, thereby creating traffic hazards.
- Leaves should not be placed around obstacles such as mailbox posts, sign posts, and light poles.
- Crews will not pick up leaves mixed with debris, logs, branches, rocks, plastic, metal or glass containers, or any other types of refuse.
- Leaves should not be placed on City cul-de-sacs, vacant land, or city property except on the public right-of-way along the curb/shoulder area.
For more information, contact the Department of Public Works at 563-263-8933.
GUIDELINES FOR CURBSIDE COLLECTION OF YARD WASTE
- Grass clippings, leaves, and garden waste will be picked up at the curb on the residents’ regular refuse collection day. Grass clippings, leaves, and garden waste must be placed in 20- or 30-gallon paper compostable bags and closed with a City of Muscatine yard waste sticker.
- Yard waste only – no trash, recycling, building materials or animal waste.
- Do not overfill bags (50 pound maximum) and keep them dry.
- Stickers are for City of Muscatine residential yard waste collection only.
- Place bags out to the curb after 4 p.m. the day before but before 5 a.m. the day of collection.
- City of Muscatine Yard Waste Stickers can be purchased at these locations:
- Muscatine Transfer Station
- City Hall
- Public Works
- Hy-Vee and Hy-Vee Main Street
- Yard Waste in any paper bag along with tree limbs and other trimmings can be taken to the Compost Facility during normal hours operation.
- Residents of Muscatine and Fruitland can drop off yard waste free of change with proof of residency. A small fee is charged for non-residents.