Two suffer minor injuries in grease fire Sunday afternoon

Two residents received minor injuries following a grease fire on a stovetop Sunday afternoon in Muscatine. Both individuals were transported to UnityPoint Health – Trinity Muscatine where they were treated for minor smoke inhalation.

The Muscatine County Joint Communications Center (Muscom) received a call at 4:17 p.m. Sunday of a structure fire at 1309½ Hershey Avenue. Units from the Muscatine Fire Department (MFD) were on scene within five minutes and had the fire under control within 10 minutes.

While on scene, MFD had two additional medical calls within a half hour which spread resources thin.

Residents are reminded that working smoke detectors save lives, and to call 9-1-1 to report the fire while safely exiting the structure. Please let the first responders do their job and do not waste time or risk your safety trying to put out the fire.

The grease fire on the stovetop was ruled accidental following an investigation by the Muscatine Fire Department.

The Muscatine Fire Department received mutual aid assistance from the Fruitland Fire Department along with assistance form the Muscatine Police Department.