The Musser Public Library & HNI Community Center will mark five years at its current location this month, and Library staff could not think of celebrating the occasion without the public who provided so much support during and after the move to the new location.
Musser Public Library & HNI Community Center is having a party – rain or shine – from 2-5 p.m. on Saturday, June 17.
Stop by to enjoy music by the Strum Circle, a city truck “petting zoo,” bubbles by Absolute Science, an “antique” photo booth with several choices of background by historical photographer Oscar Grossheim, giveaways, food for purchase by Arely’s, and brief remarks by library leadership.
The event will be held on the east lawn and the parking lot unless the weather forces the party inside.
The Musser Public Library dates back to 1901 when Peter M. Musser donated the land and the funds for a building that was approved by voter referendum and completed in 1902. The first library was in the 300 block of Iowa Avenue, and successive buildings and additions were in the same block.
In 2016, library leadership began to consider building a new facility, but then HNI Corporation stepped forward and donated its former office building at 408 East 2nd Street. From 2017-18, a Community Attraction and Tourism (CAT) matching grant funded the century-old building’s $6.5 million renovation along with three other large public projects in Muscatine.
Among the library’s new features is the HNI Community Center,” which includes 12 meeting rooms.
The library moved into the new facility on June 15, 2018, and did an immediate “soft” opening which brought 1,500 people through its doors in a single day.